New York Supreme Court — Verizon Sues the State Commission Over FOIL Requests — New Networks 2013 Report part of the requests for information.
In 2013, Common Cause–NY, Consumer Union, Communications Workers of America (CWA) and the Fire Island Association filed comments in the Fire Island-Voice Link proceeding in New York State. New Networks’ report (with assistance from Alex Goldman) was based on Verizon New York SEC-filings was part of the call for an investigation and a FOIL request to get the data —
Verizon claims that local service was uneconomical, but there are too many facts pertaining to the affiliate companies’ financials in relationship to Verizon New York’s revenues and profits that call into question Verizon’s claims.
The affiliate companies are Verizon subsidiaries that provide or receive service from Verizon New York, the state utility, and they include Verizon Wireless, Verizon Online, Verizon Business, Verizon Enterprise Solutions, and Verizon Services, among others.
2013: CWA-et al comments and New Networks 2013 report:
- COMMENTS: : Common Cause–NY, Consumer Union, Communications Workers of America and the Fire Island Association Call for an Investigation of Verizon Wireline and Wireless Companies Business Relations by the New York State Commission — Data from New Networks research reports.
- NEW REPORT: Verizon Wireless and the Other Verizon Affiliate Companies Are Harming Verizon New York’s (The State-based Utility) Customers & the State.
- Other Documents:
In 2013, the State ruled that Verizon would have to turn over the data requested, and after a challenge, Verizon lost.
NOTE Verizon submitted totally redacted docs: Our personal favorite is this 331 page, Verizon totally redacted document.
In Feb 2014, Verizon took the state to court so it could hide their financials.
New Report: “ It’s All Interconnected.” New Data
In May 2014, New Networks new report for Public Utility Law Project, reinforced the needs for audits of Verizon’s New York’s ability to charge customers for network upgrades and at the same time show massive financial losses — much of which are being directly caused by Verizon’s affiliate companies. — NOTE: since the first report we found new financials from the State Public Service commission, and Verizon New York’s annual PSC submissions.
The New York Supreme Court filed documents, 2014: Verizon vs the NY Public Service Commission, Amicus by CWA et al.
In the Matter of the Application of VERIZON NEW YORK INC.,
For an Order Pursuant to Article 78 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules
NEW YORK STATE PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (“the Commission”), KATHLEEN H. BURGESS, as Secretary to the Commission,
NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE (“the Department”) and DONNA M. GILIBERTO, as Records Access Officer for the Department
- PETITIONER’S MEMORANDUM OF LAW IN SUPPORT OF ARTICLE 78 VERIFIED PETITION AND STAY
- MEMORANDUM OF LAW OF RESPONDENTS PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK AND NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE
- BRIEF OF AMICI CURIAE COMMUNICATION WORKERS OF AMERICA, DISTRICT 1, COMMON CAUSE, CITIZENS UNION, AND THE FIRE ISLAND ASSOCIATION